Saturday 29 March 2014

April Austerity - Cabbage Central

A few more items were added to the stock pile today and that means another £1.70 spent.  I also found 35p worth of 'Soup Mix' - lentils/beans etc, that I will be using in soup!  I was quite impressed at the size of the Savoy Cabbage from Tosca for only 40p!  I picked up a small white cabbage for 50p - I'll be making coleslaw then, won't I?  The 30p lemon was a major extravagance and has already been sliced into eight pieces and frozen; that'll jazz a few dishes over the next few weeks.

I have the intention of spending another £4.50, or so in Aldee on Monday - some of those purchases will need to last, but I think 4 garlic bulbs for 59p and a jar of herbs (probably Basil, or Sage) for 49p will go a long way to adding flavour and variety to meals over the month.

Right now, I actually think this is doable.  However, there are a few caveats to all of this:
  1. I am the size of a ten year old; I don't need as much food as a fully grown man.  It isn't going to be possible for a 5ft 10 chap to exist on this, unless they resort to lots of noodles!
  2. There is very little room for variety.   
  3. Calling a lemon a 'major extravagance' seems fairly harsh on someone living on this budget. 
  4. The food is going to be quite repetitive
  5. Five portions of fruit and veg in a day?  Possible if you include dried fruit and tinned goods.  This is not the best for optimum health is it?
  6. The BHF's latest magazine has an article in which a dietician was asked to prepare a set of healthy menus for a week, based on £25 per person.  I think this speaks volumes.

I have tried to make sure I have some choice and over the weeks I'll pick up the best of the offers on fruit and veg, as the month progresses.   Even in these early stages, I think I do overspend at the supermarket.  I could shop smarter.



Total Spend - £25.11 
Amount Left - £19.89

No comments:

Post a Comment