Monday 24 March 2014

April Austerity - Shopping Shenanigans

I thought I'd familiarise myself with Tosca and Aldee, in the fleapit of a town next door to Ashford, and stock up on things that I typically use in a month.  In almost every case I went for the cheapest option available, instead of items that I normally buy - the chicken?  No I couldn't bring myself to contemplate the lowest of the low.  I'll squawk about my thoughts on that in another post. 

I sat down with mysupermarket.com open and worked out the cheapest way I could buy my shopping, without spending an excess in petrol visiting different shops.  I also had to factor in the fact that I am getting very tired again, so I don't have the energy to skip from place to place.  The two supermarkets I went to are next door to each other; the price of delivery at the cheapest time from Tosca was more expensive than the fuel I spent.  It seemed the only sensible conclusion.

Once I got to the shops, it soon became apparent that the price comparison site is better at brands than shop own, especially when it comes down to the cheap end of the scale.  You really need to do your leg work to make sure you are getting the best possible price.  Buyer Beware!

I came home with the following items:
Tosca:-
£0.35 - TEV Tomato Puree
£0.25 - TEV Ginger Nuts - a huge packet: please, please don't disappoint...
£0.20 - TEV Vegetable Soup - 4 sachets in a pack, so 5p each (looking forward to these!)
£0.98 - TEV Butter
£0.39 - Pasta Sauce (It looks incipid; I think I'll need to find something to pep it up)
£2.00 - Chicken Pie (It was £3, but I had a £1 coupon - I've cooked; cut into four and frozen it!)

Aldee:-
£3.79 - Class A Chicken - 6 miserly chicken breasts :(
£0.69 - 1kg red onions
£1.99 - 160 Teabags - Now, do I sample one before and risk dreading a month of bad tea, or do I wait and enjoy the nightmare in a week?

£10.64 - spent
£12.77 - already in house

£23.41- Total
£21.59 - Remaining out of £45


The stockpile currently looks like this - although I forgot to add in the potatoes!  Two things stand out; Tosca Everyday Value packaging makes the food look terrible and I really need to buy some fruit and veg next week!



4 Servings Chicken Pie
6 Chicken Breasts
250g Mince Turkey
2 Serving Pizza (the free one!)
16 Mission Herb Wraps
5 Flat Breads
Turkey Bone
Salad Cheese
Cheddar
Onions






½ portion free :D Manchego Cheese
Butter
½ Jar Mayo

2 Tins of Tomatoes
Soup Sachets
Salt & Pepper
Self-Raising Flour
Sultanas
Kidney Beans
Baked Beans
Peaches in Juice
Rice
Oats
Teabags
Pasta (Remaining from free bag :D)
Sugar
Coffee
Honey
                                                                                Pasta Sauce
                                                                                 Left over Bisto and Veg Stock
                                                                                    Rice (in bag on left - it didn't 
                                                                                    fit in the jar!)

No comments:

Post a Comment