Tuesday 25 March 2014

April Austerity - Dastardly Decisions

I have to confess that I am looking forward to seeing how April pans out.  I know we all spend more than we need to, but then that is all part of having choices in what we do, how we behave and in this instance, how we eat.

I have three big vices as far as consumables are concerned: baked goods, chocolate and tea.  I can't afford this in April - well, not at the rate that I am used to purchasing.  I think I've factored in enough to be able to bake two 6-scone batches and ½ a batch of flapjack.  The latter will be devoid of the usual nutty chunks and I certainly won't be adding in 200g of almond flour, or dried apricots, or Amaretto...I am sure you get the idea, but at least I can still bake.  I also think that the milk allocation for the scones will be halved and water added in replacement.  I hope this doesn't ruin them and ultimately waste resources!

I've also gone for Aldee's own teabags - 160 for 1.99, rather than my favourite brand at £4.49 (although I bulk buy when it's half price) for the equivalent box.  That's probably enough tea for me and the odd person popping over for a cuppa.

The chocolate?  It can whistle.  I can't believe I have actually said that about chocolate, but the thought of giving up tea was horrifying and for the price of a snickers I can knock up flapjack that can be cut into slices, frozen and eaten over the month.

What am I saying?  Really, that before this has gotten underway, my way of shopping and the goods I buy have already been changed.  There is very little choice on £1.50 a day and you certainly can't buy things that are deemed to be healthy: seeds, nuts, blueberries, organic produce are definitely off the table, as are more exotic items like sweet potato and avocado.  

But more than this, my way of thinking is starting to change already.  What can I get for X amount?  What's the cheapest version?  Can I buy bread now, or shall I leave it until the wraps have been eaten?  If I buy a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, will it be enough to get me out of a hunger hole, if the other vegetables run out?  If they don't, what will I do then?

No comments:

Post a Comment