Wednesday 4 June 2014

April Austerity - Fallout 4


Last month I started growing one lonely lettuce stalk on the ledge in the lounge.  I now have three of them, a regrown bunch of spring onions and a cabbage.  The latter is interesting.  As all the other veggies have sprouted upwards from the centre without growing any roots, I was expecting the cabbage to do just that.  It hasn't obliged.  The cabbage has developed from the gaps between the leaves of the original stalk; I have 5-6 new growths and a load lot of roots.  I am actually considering buying some compost and seeing if I can separate the new plants and grow them individually.

I think there is a difference in how lettuce may grow, according to how the stem is cut.  The two by themselves (in the middle pot) seem to be opening up, whereas the third lettuce (left hand side, right hand pot) seems to look more like its original shape.  I *think that is the one that I managed to cut dead flat across.  Mum's said she may get me one of those put-me-up plastic greenhouses for the garden to see if I can grow veggies in there.  She's already bought me a rosemary plant and a tomato plant.

Continuing with a veggie theme, if you ever open up the fridge and find vegetables that look as if they have had a night out (bendy and beyond their best), have you tried standing them in water, in the fridge for a few hours?  Carrots, cabbage, broccoli and a few others all seem to gain a bit of ompf back after a little TLC.  Sad lettuce?  Peel off the leaves and plunge them in ice cold water for 20 minutes!

Finally, the fun and games with Tosca continue.  Below is this week's shop: £21 worth of stock for £10.50 - give or take a few pennies.










No comments:

Post a Comment