Sunday 15 June 2014

Vaguely Vegan - Caffeine Conundrum

So I ended up eating beef, when I went out with a friend the other day.  There was NOTHING on the menu that I could eat, given my restrictions and my current lifestyle choice, but that lunch has served as an interesting experiment.  Well, I am the sort of oddball that finds blood sugar reactions interesting.   I should have done Science this time round at uni; maybe I'll take it up after my current interests have expired.

Anyway, I digress.  I'd been having some very nice glucose levels recently and then I ate *that beef.  Hmmm. It's taken me since Thursday to bring the spike in reading down from 13 to 9.  Let me be absolutely clear about this.  I now wake up with a reading of around 5; after brekkie I am under 7, by lunch time I am usually around 10 and then with a big gap until dinner, I am usually back around the 7, or 8 mark when I go to bed.  It's still not good enough, but the 13 I scored on Thursday was a bit of a shock.

On top of this, I've kind of given up caffeine.  Those that know me, know 'I drink tea, therefore I am'.  I had a coffee yesterday morning and since then, it has been water all the way.  I am not sure how much difference this may make, but dehydration can cause glucose levels to rise and tea is a diuretic.  The odd thing is that I haven't missed it - not in the slightest.  I suspect this will change at some point and I know I will have another cuppa, but it is odd.  Maybe the three litres of water that I am now consumming each day are actually doing the job!?

In a nutshell, I am now seem to sticking to this vegan thing and I am avoiding caffeine (chocolate is not disqualified yet). If I don't have glowing skin, a flat stomach and a healthy blood sugar by the end of the summer, I am going to want a refund.

No comments:

Post a Comment