Sunday 8 June 2014

Finding My Donor Family II

Two leads have come so far, for possible names.  Obviously, I am not going to divulge that information, because at least one of those is wrong and I have to protect their identities.  I feel oddly and fiercely protective towards the memory of my donor - think mother lion and her cub and you'll be approaching the sentiment.  On top of that, it is not fair to anyone who is not my donor!

So now what and where?  Neither lead matches exactly.  One is a year too young and the other is geographically challenging.  One has a mum who was a bit younger than my guesstimation.   I don't feel as if it can be them, but then I can't count them out of the running.  In neither case has the DOD been confirmed, but both were registered in June.  Then there is the accuracy factor.  I searched myself on findmypast.co.uk (or com?) and the record contains an inaccuracy, so are those two leads accurate?  

If I assume all the information I have believed for 26yrs is wrong, then that widens the search area to a ridiculous level.  I have to at least assume it was a boy and that he was approximately 10 years old.  The only 100% known fact is that he passed away on the 6th June 1988, because organ viability.  It's possible the accident happened a week (several weeks?) before and he spent time in hospital.  A cursory glance at some genealogy sites indicates a number of deaths of youngsters (9-11yrs) in 1988: a lot - far far too many.  It was rather sobering.  Maybe I need to sift through all of them, regardless of location, or exact age.   I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a needle stack.

One thing is certain about this, it is quite easy to build a picture of a random strange family online, just by punching in a few details; in fact, I think I've found one lad's brother on the great FB.  It's great for genealogists, but I do feel a bit stalkerish!

No comments:

Post a Comment