Friday 4 April 2014

April Austerity - Cheese and Chooks

I've said it so many times before, but not all chicken is created equally.  Aldee, you fall way short of the mark as far as frozen chicken is concerned.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say (and I can't believe I am saying this), that the Aldee frozen chicken (and not their cheapest) was several levels below the taste, texture, smell of Tosca's Everyday Value.  Wow.  

Putting aside all thoughts of battery farming, life quality of the animal in question and looking only at the situation people sometimes find themselves - having to chose the cheaper option - if this chicken is the standard of meat that I would have to eat, then I would turn vegetarian.  Yes, I'd rather go through the rigmarole of discussing this with my medical team and then trips to Harefield for regular blood tests to make sure my immune-suppressant level hadn't dropped.  Yes, the person on a restricted diet would drop yet another food-group off her eating list, rather than face the thought of such poor quality.

In case you are wondering what made it so bad, I can tell you it was dry, rubbery, lacking in flavour and didn't have a particularly nice aroma.  How they managed all of that, I don't know.  

Hmm, whilst we are on the subject of last night's dinner, Tosca's frozen everyday vegetables? 50% win and 50% lose.  The carrots were diced and vaguely carrotty, the broccoli florets were green - and that's the best thing I can say about them.  The peas were peas and fine, but the cauliflower actually held it's shape, was firm to the bite and actually tasted like cauliflower. 


The best thing about this dinner was the pesto, and the savoy cabbage!

Tonight's dinner should be more appetising, especially as I know what's in the vast majority of it.  I made courgette, cheese and herb scones; a couple of those will be accompanied by coleslaw made with cabbage, carrot, onion, courgette and Tosca's everyday mayonnaise.  We'll just ignore the Asorbic Acid for now ;)


3 comments:

  1. That meat sounds horrid. Stop torturing yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest of it will go in the slow cooker; that should help, although if I thrust chicken anything under your nose, you may wish to avoid it - until May!

      Delete
  2. sbury cheap chicken used to be ok but not sure if that costs too much

    ReplyDelete