Friday 11 April 2014

April Austerity - Shopping Shenanigans II

Three eggs needed eating by the 9th and I just hadn't managed to fit them into a meal, so I made a cake to take to uni, as I was meeting Roy and Mohamed for a collective study session - hopefully we'll either motivate, or shame each other into getting the essays done!  I think the tea and the cake probably helped in this session, but I am now out of butter.  I don't think they noticed I only put 50% of the sugar in the mix - it vanished!



This is a typical uni day lunch, although I am now down to one apple - I don't think I'll see much fruit this week; I may crack open the tinned peaches and have a few slices on my breakfast each morning.



Dinner last night: I took a flatbread, smeared tomato paste over it and loaded it up with courgette, onion, broccoli and a little bit of cheese.  I wasn't bad and it was certainly cheaper and better for me than fast food.



Ange popped over today.  We had chicken wrap with carrot, courgette, a tomato, cucumber and lettuce.  It was nice to have the variety, but realistically, it was only about 1 ½ portions of veg in total.  Potato wedges went nicely with the wrap.

This is the second time I have cooked for someone else, plus the cake above.   Realistically I shouldn't be doing this, if I only had £45 for the month, but I am a sociable person and sitting down with a nice plate of food and good company is a brilliant way of spending a day.  Someone on this budget would be missing out on this important (no, essential) social side of life.


I made it over to Tosca this evening just as there was s some decent stock in the cut-price veg section.  Avocado - 59p!  Spinach - 59p! Beans -  58p! Rocket  - 40p!  I also picked up three peppers for 99p.  The total spend was £4.09, that leaves £6.45 and I'll need milk in a few days.   If I can get away with not shopping until  next Sunday (milk aside)  I *may manage this.  I still have some Savoy and white cabbages left and ½ the broccoli.   I haven't even cracked open the tins of tomatoes, the freezer still has ALL THAT SOUP and I still have ¾ of the pie, some turkey mince and two chicken breasts left in stock.


Dinner!  Finally - peppers, avocado and spinach - this is definitely more my sort of meal!










4 comments:

  1. Hi Eve. Already had a go at commenting here and it vanished as soon as I pressed save. Anyway, if you are the Eve Miller I think you are, then I'm an old friend bringing a blast from the past! If you remember doing an M.A in Medieval Studies at Royal Holloway Uni and graduating in 2001, then hopefully you'll remember Yvonne Mason, who used to hang out with you at Uni, and was (still is) married to Paul, the saxophone player. If you remember me and want to get in touch, you'll find me on Facebook under the name 'Yvonne Mason, English and History Tutor". If it's not you, then apologies for the intrusion! Best wishes, Yvonne Mason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne! Yvonne! It's me!! Funny thing - I was wondering what happened to you the other day and how Powys turned out :D.

    This has made my day !! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed that it IS an essential part of life. Living on the breadline saps so much and being solitary is even worse!

    What's the white tube things in your dinner? Is it pasta?

    Paul and I would be fvked. In fact, we used to be because he worked which paid the rent but the jsa I got just didn't cover everything. You know I'm big and like my food and Paul has hollow legs so I went hungry a lot as he needed 2000 calories to cycle to and from work so I just ate dinner. Which is disgusting in this day and age to happen.

    Incidentally are you familiar with things like using 1 chicken to make many meals? I stretched 1 to 5 once. http://poor-skills.livejournal.com/3610500.html#comments I don't know if it's of use to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the free Tosca pasta, as I had a coupon. I made enough for three meals: pasta, spinach, pepper with yogurt. I had the second batch today with a bit of cheese and it'll be tomorrow night's dinner.

      Thanks for the link - I used to roast chickens, make pie and curry the next couple of days and use the carcass for soup...it's amazing how far things can go!

      Delete