Tuesday 15 April 2014

April Austerity - Swindled Sarnie

Ok, so I ought to 'fess up.  I had lunch out with a few friends today and it's not coming out of the remaining cash - I also bought to half price crusty wholemeal/seeded rolls from Tosca to go with some of *that* soup!  I think I will be grating carrot/courgette into it, to make it a little more interesting!  But, yes, this is where £45 falls down - well it's not the only place where it falls down.  So far, from what I can see,  this sort of diet is unsustainable long term because:

1) The diet is very basic.  Yes, I am getting veg and a small amount of fruit, but unless you are prepared/able to go back and forth to Tosca at 6.30pm+ to pick up the reduced stock, then you are not going to be seeing your 5 a day consistently enough - let alone your now 7 a day.  I'm not convinced that I am eating everything I need as far as vitamins, protein etc.

2) Where is the social interaction that we all need?  I've spent £8.24 today.  This is not a huge amount of money, yet this is the only time I shall be eating out this month.  Realistically, if I was eating on £45 a month and suddenly had £8 spare, the extra would go into stock cupboard staples: tins of tomato, beans, pulses, rice etc,  That means the chance of seeing other people is greatly reduced.  I'm social, I like having mugs of tea with friends, the occasional pub lunch, or dinner out.  I don't spend excessively, but today I feel guilty for having spent less than a tenner, to see people I haven't seen for months!

3) If you are prepared to trek back and forth for reduced stock, don't count on having the pick of the shop;  I'm eating whatever has been knocked down in price.  I'm lucky, I know how to cook and make a meal out of nothing.  Not everyone is in this position.  You also have to be prepared to hover.  I have hovered in Tosca, waiting to see if the bloke fussing about in the veg section, with the price gun was going to move something useful into the bargain bin.  Yes, he did! Avocado!

4) I am becoming increasingly tired as the month progresses, because of all the health issues stack against me.  I am giving serious consideration to home delivery next week - buy what I need and then add in a few extras for after the month, to make it worth the delivery charge.  Again, if you are on £45 and can't get to the shops, then chucking £3 on delivery seems crazy; I'd be ordering once a fortnight, to every three, but that's then £6 something a month out of the food budget!  It doesn't even take into account the fact that fruit and veg may be a bit iffy by day ten, of factor in that you may run out.

5) I am fed up of bulk cook food: 14 portions of soup, ok, so I am tweaking each bowlful, but it is basically the same thing.  I made a pasta, spinach, red pepper and cheese dinner.  I ate it for a three further meals.  I've had the same rice and vegetable salad - all 6 batches of it and the coleslaw lasted four meals as well.  

BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED 

6) I'm 5ft tall - almost.  I still weigh about 46kg.  I'm at home 50% of the time.  I'm eating; I'm not hungry, but everything is being used up.  Heaven help you, if you had a physical job, were 6ft, or 10 stone.  


T Minus Two Weeks and Counting...

P.s. £6.54 + £5.09 (wombled voucher) = £11.63 - £1.40 = £10.23 

No comments:

Post a Comment