Saturday 26 April 2014

April Austerity - Testing Times

I assume you know that feeling when you try to do something and nothing goes right?  Well, after the concerns that I could be diabetic, I thought I ought to get my finger-pricker kit out again.  I last had to keep an eye on my blood sugar in 2007 when I was being drip fed a truck load of steroids.  I found my monitor.  The battery was flat.  I bought the batteries; the test strips were out of date.  I bought new test strips; the insert was missing.. AARRGGHHHH.

Well, finally today, I had all the working parts together and after eating less than healthily I thought I ought to see what was going on: 5.8. That's fine.  What's happened?  I have no idea.  For the last seven years my blood sugar has been ok in the morning and then climbed steadily throughout the day, to return to the morning. So why, ¾ the way through the day is it suddenly normal?  My suspicion is that my diet has changed slightly.

I'm eating more regularly, because you have too when resources have to be counted out.  I've definitely reduced the amount of fruit that I used to eat.  My starch intake has increased, as I am eating rice, bread, or pasta with most of my meals.  My junk food consumption has dropped; well, sort of...  I made scones twice and I've eaten flapjack...then there was the Easter Egg from Carla.  Yes, that lasted 3 days.  Ooops.  I'm eating less veg.   Then, about ten days ago, the potatoes ran out (I finished my supply, they didn't charge out of the front door).  I've always been a bit suspicious that potato was my arch enemy when it came to my blood sugar.  I'll have to run a bit of an experiment, after this one is over.  


T minus four days and counting.

What if the reduced fund diet is the thing that has sorted out my blood sugar?  Hmmm, Harefield said that I'd be unlikely to make any difference to my blood sugar, because of the medication that I take. I guess I shouldn't get too excited about one reading.  I bet the monitor is faulty...

No comments:

Post a Comment